Talent & Tech Asia Summit 2024
human resources online

An innovative approach is needed in how L&D is delivered: What's on your radar?

Choosing learning and development methods for staff isn’t an easy task. It’s important to pick methods that employees want and would find useful for their learning and development.

So when 2,500 employees across Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand were asked how they would like to receive L&D from their organisation - over half (54%) say they would like online modules through e-learning courses.

Another two in five (42%) said they preferred microlearning, while overall (80%), the employees agreed that they want their employers to step up by offering more training in new technologies, in this new report called Mind the Gap by Vanson Bourne, commissioned by Skillsoft.

From the study, the good news is that four in five (80%) employees surveyed say they received L&D from their organisation in 2018. In fact, employees report they received L&D three times last year, on average.

However, is this enough? And are employees happy with the quality of the L&D they received? The answer is no. More than eight in ten (85%) employees wish they received more L&D from their organisation for new skills in 2018.

In addition, only 14% of employees rated the L&D that they received as excellent, where nothing could have been improved. This leaves the vast majority (86%) feeling their organisation could have done more to provide effective L&D.

This is likely to contribute to the 48% of employees who admit their team is under-skilled to deliver what is needed for the business. "Not only do organisations need to offer more L&D, they must deliver it to a much higher standard, otherwise skillsets will stagnate," cited the report.

ALSO READ: Case study: Reimagining the next generation of leaders at TNB

On the topic of digital transformation, the majority (81%) of employees’ job roles are being changed owing to it, cited the respondents.

While this can bring about new job roles and opportunities, 94% of respondents said they would need digital skills training to help with this transformation of their role. Half or more would like Microsoft Office training (59%) and/or video-based micro-learning (50%), while 48% want collaboration training.

These are methods organisations should be investing in to enhance digital skills. But unfortunately, less than one-third (27%) of employees feel completely supported by their organisation in meeting the changing demands of their role as a result of it undergoing digital transformation.

What’s more, almost six in ten (57%) fear significant parts of their role will be replaced by technology in the next 10 years. This makes it all the more important for organisations to support their employees through digital transformation.

ALSO READ: Navigating digital transformation: How to prepare for what’s next

Photo / 123RF

Follow us on Telegram and on Instagram @humanresourcesonline for all the latest HR and manpower news from around the region!

Free newsletter

Get the daily lowdown on Asia's top Human Resources stories.

We break down the big and messy topics of the day so you're updated on the most important developments in Asia's Human Resources development – for free.

subscribe now open in new window