The skills of modern leadership, such as strategic thinking, emotional intelligence, resilience, and agility, have evolved owing to trends such as remote work, digital transformation, talent shortage, as well as economic uncertainty.
Keeping these in mind, how can you as leaders build future-proof skills in your workforce – what tools are needed, what works, and what needs to be looked deeper into?
It is our pleasure to present this second episode of our Modern Leadership podcast series, brought to you by HRO and Coursera, featuring a conversation with Vikas Verma, Managing Director, Head Strategic HR, UOB, and Raghav Gupta, Managing Director, Coursera APAC.
With a background in business management, sales and HR positions, Vikas is lauded for his commercial mindset with a deep understanding of employee experience expectations in today’s rapidly evolving way of working. Based in Singapore, he is a member of the global HR leadership team at UOB, and leads a team of senior HR professionals to deliver strategic people and HR outcomes as well as enhance the employee experience for a multi-generational, multi-lingual, and multi-cultural workforce of 25,000 employees in 19 countries.
Meanwhile, based in India, Raghav leads the APAC business for Coursera, and is responsible for growing the online learning provider's consumer and enterprise business in the region, bringing education to learners across markets. He comes with 20 years of experience across consumer, internet, and management consulting industries in India, Southeast Asia, and Europe.
In this episode, titled A new lens on skills, hosted by HRO's Aditi Sharma Kalra, Vikas and Raghav discuss:
- How Vikas and team, through UOB's Better U programme, are addressing the future of jobs in three ways:
- how each and every job will be impacted by the new world of work;
- what new jobs will emerge amidst this change, and
- the small portion of jobs that may fundamentally disappear;
- What moving from a roles-based to a skills-based and growth mindset approach, means for leaders, when it comes to training needs identification;
- (hint: think about skills on three dimensions: what is the value of that skill, how long does it take to learn, and what is the longevity)
- Ways to empower managers and the workforce to constantly achieve a habit, and culture, built on a growth mindset;
- The speakers agree that until skills building is an organisation's priority, it will not work –there has to be a pull from the employee. Listen to the podcast to find out the three things every manager must demonstrate in fortnightly conversations with their team.
- How leaders can look at democratising leadership skills in a way that they are accessible for everyone in the business, and more.
Click here to listen to the episode.
Check out Coursera's latest research, 'The makings of a modern leader'.