People in Hong Kong were unable to go to work Thursday reports the South China Morning Post after a second World War 2 bomb was found in a construction site in Wan Chai North.
Workers and residents in the vicinity were evacuated on Wednesday after the discovery of a second unearthed bomb this week. According to the Standard, people at work in towers like the Great Eagle Centre, Harbour Centre and Sun Hung Kai Centre had to leave after lunch on Wednesday.
By 8.40pm, more than 4,630 people in the area had been moved out. Nearby sporting facilities were closed and ferry services were cancelled. Waterfront facing rooms at the Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View Hotel were also evacuated and an employee told the SCMP check-ins were put on hold.
“The bomb is in a dangerous condition, the fuse mechanism is severely damaged, and the position of the bomb is making it difficult for our equipment to gain optimum access,” bomb disposal officer Alick McWhirter told local media on Wednesday.
The daily flag-raising ceremony at Golden Bauhinia Square was also cancelled Thursday. The Post reports, As of 6 am on Thursday, traffic – both pedestrian and road – remained suspended around the site’s perimeter, including on Convention Avenue and Harbour Road between Fleming Road and Tonnochy Road and all lanes of the Fleming Road and Tonnochy Road flyovers and Expo Drives East and Central.
The bomb is believed to be an American bomb dropped during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong between 1941 and 1945. It is thought to be similar to the one discovered on Saturday at the construction site where work is underway for the Sha Tin-Central rail link at the junction of Convention Avenue and Tonnochy Road.
ALSO READ: How Hongkongers celebrate typhoon day