Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad yesterday announced several decisions taken at the Cabinet meeting, including special payments for some civil servants and all government pensioners, Bernama reported.
At a media conference after the his second Cabinet meeting, Tun Mahathir revealed civil servants on Grade 41 and below will receive RM400 special payment, while pensioners will receive RM200.
Regarding the date of the payment, he said: "These payments will be made on June 6."
Other announcements made include:
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)With effect from tomorrow (June 1) GST would be zero-rated. Later in September 2018, the GST will be abolished and replaced with the Sales and Service Tax (SST). On the rate of the SST, Tun Mahathir said: "We will study it."
- Cost-of-living allowance (COLA)The COLA would replace the 1Malaysia People's Aid (BR1M) introduced by the previous government. Asked for the difference between COLA and BR1M, Tun Mahathir said: "Very different, very different."
- Prices of diesel and petrolPrices of diesel and RON95 petrol would be retained at RM2.18 and RM2.20 per litre, respectively, while the price of RON97 would be subjected to a free float in accordance with the market price. RON97 petrol now retails at RM2.47 per litre.
- Highway toll ratesThere will be a 50% discount in the toll rates on all highways on the two days before Aidilfitri (15 June).
- World Cup 2018 soccer matchesThe World Cup 2018 soccer matches (from 14 June to 15 July) would be telecast live by RTM for free.