SUBSCRIBE: Newsletter

Human Resources

Toggle

Article

Travelling to and fro office may drive your employees to quit



Don't miss the opportunity to shout about your successes in recruitment and talent acquisition - the Asia Recruitment Awards is
the only regional awards to celebrate the best in-house teams and recruitment solution providers.
Finalists announced!

閱讀中文版本

Close to one out of four employees (23%) had left a job because of a bad commute, according to research by global staffing firm Robert Half. The survey, which was conducted in the US, saw respondents in Chicago, Miami, New York and San Francisco had most often resigned for this reason.

Millennials, aged between 18 to 34 years old  (34%) have most often left a job because of their journey to and from the office, compared to those ages 35 to 54 (24%) and 55 and older (12%). Out of this group of respondents, 28% of male employees have quit as compared to 20% of women.

Paul McDonald, senior executive director for Robert Half, said: “Commutes can have a major impact on morale and, ultimately, an employee’s decision to stay with or leave a job. In today’s candidate-driven market, skilled workers can have multiple offers on the table. Professionals may not need to put up with a lengthy or stressful trip to the office if there are better options available.”

In terms of whether their commute to work had improved over the last five years, 39% reported their travel to and fro the office had gotten better but the remaining 61% said that travelling had gotten worse or there had been no change. Out of those who noted a negative change in their commute, six out of 10 said their companies had not taken steps to reduce the burden on employees.

“To help ease commuting woes, companies can offer remote work options, flexible scheduling or transportation amenities,” said McDonald.

An infographic showing the results of a Robert Half survey about commutes

ALSO READ: Do you encourage employees to listen to music while working?

Infographic/ Robert Half
Photo/ 123RF



Don't miss the opportunity to shout about your successes in recruitment and talent acquisition - the Asia Recruitment Awards is
the only regional awards to celebrate the best in-house teams and recruitment solution providers.
Finalists announced!

Read More News

in All markets by

CEO of Tinder steps down

Sean Rad will be taking Christopher Payne's place as CEO, having promised to "make Tinder one of the great businesses of our time"..

Trending