We’ve all seen them in our LinkedIn feed. Photos displaying a sleek white desk with a notebook, pen, fancy laptop, and a number of other company branded goodies neatly laid out on it. Taken by excited new hires at hip tech companies and shared with the caption “This is how you welcome someone to the company!”
There’s obviously some truth to that statement, whether you feel company laptops and branded hoodies are necessary or not. An employee who finds their desk all set up and ready on their first day is more likely to feel welcome than someone who gets stuck at reception having to explain who they are and why they’re there.
The best way to ensure your new hires feel appreciated from day one, is to design an effective onboarding process. To help you determine the state of your current process, employee engagement solution company TINYpulse has devised a five-question checklist:
- Does your employee onboarding programme start before a new hire's first day?
- Does your new hire know how to use the tools and technologies your company relies on?
- Has your new hire been introduced to the rest of their team? What about their colleagues that they might not work with directly?
- Does your new hire know where they can get the support and resources they need to do their job when they might be unsure of how to tackle a specific task?
- Does your new hire know what's expected of them? Do you know what your new hire expects of you?
If you're looking for inspiration, L’Oreal is among the companies investing in employee onboarding. To complement its existing 6-month strategic onboarding programme, the French cosmetics company recently launched a mobile app to help newcomers understand and fit in with the company culture.
PizzaExpress offers another example. Before opening a restaurant in Singapore, the company delivered a country-specific induction programme to encourage long-term retention of the new team.
ALSO READ: Infographic: This is what your onboarding process is missing
Follow us on Telegram and on Instagram @humanresourcesonline for all the latest HR and manpower news from around the region!