Singapore has emerged seventh among 100 countries in a study of the best cities to find a job released by German relocation company Movinga, scoring 6.741 out of 10. The nation received the highest total economic strength score, and the highest government effectiveness score. Boston, United States ranked first followed by Munich, Germany in second.
Aside from these rankings, the following were also revealed:
- Dubai has the highest levels of employment and is revealed to be the best location for expats and young people. However, gender may play a part in a jobseeker's success, as Dubai offers the lowest overall opportunities for women, with the lowest gender wage gap, and the lowest women's liberty and legislation score.
- Hong Kong has the highest gross domestic product (GDP) growth, but also the highest cost of living.
- Berlin has the highest levels of new business registrations.
- Boston has the highest standard of living score.
- Monterrey, Mexico has the best cost of living.
- Boston has the highest disposable income levels.
- Dubai has the highest total immigration score, with the highest levels of immigration.
- Prague has the highest level of youth employment while London has the highest level of new startups.
- Norway offers the best opportunities for women, however, the gender wage gap is lowest in Slovenia.
- Women's liberty and legalisation is best in Belgium, while women's opportunity for advancement is best in Finland.
The study began by first analysing OECD countries, as they have the most available and comparable employment statistics, and then subsequently a few key trending cities such as Singapore and Hong Kong which are booming with job opportunities.
It then identified 14 micro factors based on three key areas; economic strength for startups and established businesses, standard of living including disposable income and healthcare benefits, and the inclusion of women, youth and expats in the workforce. These factors are:
- Total employment
- GDP growth
- New business registrations
Standard of living
- Cost of living
- Disposable income
- Healthcare expenditures
- Government effectiveness
- Immigrant levels
- Expat employment rate
Opportunity for youth
- Youth employment
- New startups
Opportunity for women
- Gender wage gap
- Women's liberty and legislation
- Women's opportunity for advancement