Staff can also enjoy two Friday afternoons off every month during summer, with allocated flexi-dollars to spend on wellness items.
Embracing an increasing focus on work-life balance and wellbeing, cosmetic company Shiseido Hong Kong (SHK) has adopted seven employee-centric wellbeing programmes, that include initiatives in three main areas: flexible work, gamification in promoting corporate culture, and employee wellness.
- Piloting a hybrid work model in July, office staff are entitled to work remotely up to two days per week.
- Staff are entitled to work remotely during the period of compulsory hotel quarantine and home medical surveillance following personal overseas trips, without extra annual leave deduction, for a maximum of seven consecutive days.
- Flexible working hours arrangement allows employees to personalise their working location and hours.
Gamification in promoting corporate culture
To cater the interest of Gen-Z employees and enhance learning effectiveness, SHK hosted the first ever 'SWITCH Party' in August, where teams of staff from various departments work together to complete different challenges with SWITCH. This gamified culture cultivation programme incorporates interactive games with formal theory teaching with the aim of elevating staff’s understanding of the corporate 'TRUST 8' working principles in a fun and relaxed environment.
All-round wellness benefits
- Implement 'Summer Relax Programme' since 2017 – a 4.5-day work week practice for summer which gives employees the opportunity to take two half-day Friday leaves a month between June and September.
- Extra paid leaves
- 'Annual Leave +' - which offers two extra paid leaves to employees who have taken all annual leave entitlement in a company year;
- one day birthday leave,
- seven days marriage leave,
- three days compassionate leave,
- a warm blessing to celebrate or show support in special occasions.
- 'Wellness Flexi-Dollar' – employees can flexibly allocate a designated amount of flexi-dollars each year on a set of wellness and lifestyle items that best meet their needs and interests and reimburse the entitled flexi-dollars from the company. Flexi-dollars can be spent on:
- gym/fitness/yoga memberships,
- body massage/spa,
- overseas and local personal travel expenses include flight tickets, staycation, sightseeing/tour expenses,
- gadgets include smartphones, game consoles and games,
- optical care includes purchase of prescription eyeglasses or contact lens,
- personal counselling.
Commenting on these initiatives, Alice Chan, Director of Human Resources, said the new wellbeing programmes help attract and retain the most talented people, especially the younger generation who highly value workplace culture, are keen for a healthy work-life balance, and have a high preference for flexible working.
“We are committed to ensuring our employee benefits are fit for our people and remain relevant to the ever-changing trends occurring in the workplace,” she said. “By enhancing employees’ satisfaction, these benefits will help improve work motivation and efficiency, and ultimately achieve a win-win situation between the company and employees.”
Image / Shutterstock