Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, yesterday announced that a few localities in Johor and Sarawak will be subjected to the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) and the Movement Control Order (MCO) respectively.
In a statement posted on Facebook by Malaysia's National Security Council, he noted that the EMCO will be implemented at Simpang Renggam Prison and Staff Quarters, Kluang, Johor; while the Song and Kapit districts of Sarawak will be subject to the MCO.
EMCO at Simpang Renggam Prison and Staff Quarters in Kluang, Johor
On the advice and risk assessment by Malaysia's Ministry of Health (MOH), the Government has agreed to implement the EMCO at Simpang Renggam Prison and Staff Quarters from 1 February 2021 to 14 February 2021.
This will help the MOH facilitate targeted screening of all detainees, staff and close contacts to ensure that there is no transmission of infection in the community.
The decision to implement the EMCO at the Simpang Renggam Prison and Staff Quarters came after the sudden increase in COVID-19 positive cases.
According to Malaysia's Ministry of Health (MOH), as of January 29, 2021, out of the 198 screening tests conducted, a total of 108 positive COVID-19 cases have been detected involving 100 detainees, 6 staff and 2 close contacts.
The SOPs are the same as previously announced. For instance, movement in and out is restricted and visits by family members are not allowed.
MCO to be implemented for Song and Kapit districts of Sarawak
On the advice and risk assessment by MOH, the Government has agreed to implement the MCO in the Song and Kapit districts of Sarawak for 14 days, from 2 February 2021 to 15 February 2021.
This was due to an increase in positive cases of COVID-19 in both districts. In the Song district (previously a Green Zone), 93 cases were recorded, while the Kapit district saw positive cases increase from zero to 31 within 14 days.
The MCO SOPs are the same as previously announced including:
- All residents in the PKP area are NOT ALLOWED to leave their respective homes/residences except for Two (2) people, the household representative is allowed to go out only to get the necessities.
- A maximum of three (3) people including patients are allowed to go out to get health or medical care services.
- Movement in/out of PKP area for emergency cases such as death is allowed after obtaining permission from PDRM.
- Restaurant, shops/food stalls, grocery stores and convenience stores are ALLOWED to operate between 6.00 am to 8.00 pm.
- Food supply or sale activities are only allowed by take home, drive or delivery only from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Hospitals, clinics and medical laboratories can operate for up to 24 hours or under a license to operate.
A more detailed SOP can be found here.
Photo / 123RF