The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) will open up the i-Sinar facility for application from 21 December onwards.
According to a press release, the facility is open to up to 8mn eligible members who fit the criteria of the following two categories.
Category 1: Those who have not contributed to the EPF for a while, have lost jobs, are housewives or are given no pay leave
This category includes workers in the formal sector, self-employed workers and workers in the gig economy, those who have not contributed to the EPF for a period of time, have lost their jobs, housewives, or given no pay leave.
The criteria for Category 1 are as follows:
- Have not contributed to the EPF for at least two consecutive months on application; OR
- Still working but have suffered a reduction of their base salary by 30% and above from March 2020 onwards.
Members who fit into this category will not have to provide supporting documents as the approval of withdrawal is automatic, based on EPF's internal data.
Those who fit this category and wish to tap on the i-Sinar facility would only need to submit an application online via isinar.kwsp.gov.my from 21 December 2020. Eligible members under this category will start receiving their first payment from the middle of January 2021.
Category 2: Total income has been reduced by 30% and the reduction can only be verified with supporting documents
This category includes members whose total income has been reduced by 30% and above (total income including base salary and other benefits such as allowances and overtime) from 1 March 2020 onwards. Additionally, the reduction can only be verified with supporting documents.
To expedite the verification process, members would need to submit the following supporting documents:
- Salary slip before and after reduction of income; and
- Employer’s notice of suspension or reduction of allowances and/or overtime claims.
For those who are unable to provide the above documents, the EPF will also give due consideration to other relevant supporting documents such as bank statement or employer’s written acknowledgement.
Members under this category can start applying for the i-Sinar facility online via isinar.kwsp.gov.my beginning 11 January 2021.
Members will be notified of their application status within two to three weeks after they have submitted it. After the application is approved, payment will be done before the end of the following month.
i-Sinar eligible amount
The eligible amount for i-Sinar is subject to the member’s Account 1 balance, as follows:
- Those with RM100,000 and below in Account 1 can withdraw any amount up to RM10,000. Payments will be staggered over a maximum period of six (6) months with the first payment of up to RM5,000.
- Members who have above RM100,000 in Account 1 can withdraw a maximum 10% of their Account 1 savings, up to RM60,000 (whichever is lower). Payments will be staggered over a maximum period of six (6) months with the first payment of up to RM10,000.
To ensure the application process is smooth, members are advised to register for i-Akaun, update their mobile number to receive the Transaction Authorisation Code (TAC) at EPF kiosk or counter, as well as ensure that their bank account number is active.
Photo / 123RF