This comes after the nation was struck by a new wave of Covid-19 cases last month. As of 17 May, there are 111,082 active cases.
Suan Dusit University between 10 to 13 May conducted an online poll, titled Thais’ Thoughts While Working-From-Home (WFH), with approximately 1,600 locals in the country. Overall results showed that, although Thais preferred working-from-office (36%), most agreed that working from home is a positive move to curb the spread of Covid-19 (88%).
After Thailand was struck by a new wave of Covid-19 cases in April 2021, most Thais have shifted to a WFH routine (43%)—which three in four Thais felt is a good move to keep them safe from the virus. Less than half of the respondents, however, felt otherwise.
According to the poll, there are also some locals opting for a hybrid routine (34%), and others working with a physical one (23%); for both, there is no significant difference as to which routines they enjoy more.
The poll, in addition, showed what positives the Thais drew from this WFH experience. While noting it reduces the spread of Covid-19, Thais felt this routine tremendously helps them to save travel expenses as they needn’t commute to work (70%).
On the flipside, however, respondents acknowledged that this routine, in fact, incurs other expenses like utilities. Other negatives include the tools and technology available at home being ill-equipped to work with as compared to those at the office.
That said, many Thais (70%) felt that this work-from-home has, all in all, been relatively successful so far.
Find the full poll results below:
Where are you working at right now?
- At home (42.72%)
- At home and at office (34.45%)
- At office (22.83%)
What do you think about working-from-home?
- It makes me feel safe; it can help reduce Covid-19 transmission (74.82%)
- It is an act of compliance with government policies (48.60%)
- It offers me more time for myself and for my family (44.05%)
- It is not conducive to work (40.53%)
- The atmosphere isn’t the same as a workplace (39.04%)
Advantages of WFH
- Reduces the spread of COVID-19 (88.33%)
- Saves commuting expenses (70.19%)
- Helps the government sectors (60.73%)
Disadvantages of WFH
- Increased expenses such as electricity and water bills (65.80%)
- Equipment and tools at home are not as comfortable as workplace (62.08%)
- Communication and coordination are slow (45.97%)
Is WFH successful for you?
- Yes (70.33%)
- No (29.67%)
Work-from-home versus work-from-office: Which do you prefer?
- Both are fine (37.17%)
- Work-from-office is better (36.13%)
- Work-from-home is better (18.10%)
- No preferences (8.60%)
Will WFH help reduce the transmission of COVID-19?
- Yes (82.66%)
- Not sure (13.14%)
- No (4.20%)
Photo / 123RF