Come 8 October 2020, Singapore welcomes visitors from Australia (excluding Victoria State) and Vietnam. Visitors refers to all foreign travellers who are not Singapore citizens, Singapore permanent residents (PR) or Singapore long-term pass holders (LTPs).
To enter Singapore after the stipulated date, visitors from the above countries need to apply for an Air Travel Pass (ATP).
Applicants must have remained in either Australia (excluding Victoria State) or Vietnam in the last consecutive 14 days prior to their entry. They will undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival at the airport and if the result is negative, they will be allowed to go about their activities in Singapore, without a need to serve a stay-home notice (SHN).
Announcing the lifting of border restrictions, Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) stated: "Both countries have comprehensive public health surveillance systems and displayed successful control over the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
"Over the last 28 days, Vietnam has zero local COVID-19 case, while Australia (excluding Victoria State) has a virus local incidence rate of 0.02 per 100,000. The risk of importation from these countries is low."
Singapore citizens, PRs and LTPs returning from Australia and Vietnam
From 2 October 2020, 0000 hrs (Singapore time), Singapore citizens, PRs and LTPs returning from Australia (excluding Victoria State) and Vietnam will similarly undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival, in lieu of a seven-day SHN with a COVID-19 test administered before the end of the SHN.
They are strongly encouraged to register and pre-pay for their post-arrival COVID-19 test prior to departing for Singapore.
The update to Singapore's travel policy comes after the nation recently lifted border restrictions for visitors from Brunei Darussalam and New Zealand. As a result, of 30 September 2020, 1700 hrs, 331 applications from the two countries to enter Singapore have been approved, of which 136 visitors have arrived, and none of the visitors tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival.
Requirements for visitors entering under the Air Travel Pass
ATP applicants must comply with the following conditions of travel:
- Travel History - They must have spent the last 14 consecutive days in Australia (excluding Victoria State) or Vietnam before departing for Singapore. All visitors must travel to Singapore on direct flights without transit.
- Post-Arrival COVID-19 Testing - Upon arrival in Singapore, visitors must undergo a COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test at the airport. To expedite the COVID-19 PCR test at the airport, before departing for Singapore, visitors are strongly encouraged to register and make payment. The test results will be out within 48 hours, and typically within 12 hours.
- After taking the COVID-19 PCR test, visitors are to take private transportation, taxi, or private hire car from the airport to their declared place of accommodation. They must remain isolated at the accommodation until the test result is confirmed to be negative. Checks will be made to ensure that this is adhered to. After being notified of their negative test results, visitors will be allowed to go about their activities in Singapore.
- Contact Tracing – To facilitate the contact tracing process, visitors must download the TraceTogether app on their mobile devices and keep it activated during their stay here. They are advised to download the app prior to departing for Singapore, and not delete it for 14 consecutive days after leaving Singapore.
- Medical Costs - Visitors must be responsible for their medical bills related to COVID-19 while in Singapore. This includes costs related to tests and isolation imposed on visitors for public health reasons should they be suspected of being infected with COVID-19, as well as medical treatment for COVID-19.
- Visitors can apply for the single-entry ATP, at no charge, between seven and thirty calendar days prior to their intended date of entry into Singapore.
Photo / 123RF