SUBSCRIBE: Newsletter

Human Resources

Toggle

Article

Malaysian Employers Federation welcomes new English policy

Human Resources magazine and the HR Bulletin daily email newsletter:
Asia's only regional HR print and digital media brand.
Register for your FREE subscription now »

A new policy which requires university students in Malaysia to pass English in order to graduate has been welcomed by the Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF).

Earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said more details would be announced soon on the policy, which aims to boost graduates’ limited knowledge of English – something he said is currently “not enough” to help them gain employment.

ALSO READ: Malaysians now required to pass English to graduate

MEF’s executive director Datuk Shamsuddin Bardan said many employers struggle to find talent with excellent oral and written English skills, The Star reported.

“This policy is very much welcomed as English proficiency is one of the things we emphasise. This way, money won’t be spent on students after their graduation to give them this soft skill,” he said.

“The Government spends a lot of money on students after graduation which could be counted as wasted resources.”

Shamsuddin also said the currently employability figures for fresh graduates stands at around 70%, and this policy could help plug the gap for the remaining 30%.

“This number could definitely be improved by graduates having better English skills and their employability within Malaysia, Asean and the international market would increase.”

Image: Shutterstock

 

 

Hong Kong HR Masterclass Series: 27th March Strengthening the mental resilience and wellbeing of employees -
improving employee engagement, talent retention and organisational productivity.
Register now here

Read More News

in All markets by

Job and hiring trends for 2020

As we enter a new decade, nearly 200 CEOs from the world’s biggest brands have declared that shareholders are no longer their chie..

Trending

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.