Back in Hong Kong for its fourth year on September 5 at the Hotel ICON, Learning and Development Asia is bigger and better than ever before and earned its reputation as the most influential L&D strategy event in Asia.
Book your tickets now!
Contact us now for an amazing group discount
This article is brought to you by BRIDGE.
Merely having a purpose isn’t enough. To make a real difference, organisations need to make purpose matter for employees, customers, shareholders and partners.
Purpose describes the positive difference an organisation is committed to make in the world – a unique manifestation of its reason for being. It is often deeply rooted in an organisation’s story and history.
When purpose is powerfully brought to life, it brings many benefits to an organisation and its stakeholders. It provides ambition, energy, meaning and direction.
Conscious, purposeful organisations attract and retain talent and make more money. Making a difference through their work is important for everyone, but this becomes increasingly important as Gen Z, who are driven by a higher purpose, enter the workforce. Customers would deeply miss a truly purpose-led organisation if it ceased to exist.
So how do you make purpose matter for your organisation? Here are the three phases along the journey to purpose:
Discover your purpose
- Set out an ambitious plan that excites, disrupts and inspires in equal measure.
- Ensure it is clear and actionable.
- Make sure it captures the ‘sweet spot’ of your organisational capabilities, consumer needs and societal needs, unlocking the energy of your organisation.
Connect to your purpose
- Identify the big opportunities that your purpose makes possible.
- Be clear about what it will take to deliver these opportunities.
- Ensure you transform mindset, fuel ambition and energy for change, and build capability within your leaders.
Live your purpose
- Purpose comes alive when anchored to strategy and culture.
- Work with top teams and leaders to ensure they are aligned, committed, and actively role modelling your purpose.
- Activate your purpose in brands/functions and personalise for each employee.
Once purpose has been made relevant and credible, leaders find that their business is more commercially successful and is having a positive impact on its stakeholders and the wider world.
At Bridge, we develop the organisational mindset and capability to make this a reality. We’ve recently launched ‘The Purpose Journey’, an event series which takes the audience on a journey towards making purpose matter.
To find out more, visit our website.
This content first appeared in the June-July (Singapore) special Learning & Development edition of Human Resources magazine. Read the magazine out now!
Human Resources magazine and the HR Bulletin daily email newsletter:
Asia's only regional HR print and digital media brand.
Register for your FREE subscription now »