According to Berry Appleman & Leiden's latest advisory, Malaysia’s eVISA programme is now available for business travellers as well. Previously, the eVISA and VISA-free programme was launched in March 2016, for tourists from China and India to travel to Malaysia easily.
Now, nationals from the following countries may apply for business eVISAs:
1. China 2. India 3. Sri Lanka 4. Nepal 5. Myanmar 6. Bangladesh 7. Pakistan 8. Bhutan 9. Serbia 10. Montenegro
Permitted activities on a business eVISA, as with a consular business visa, are limited to:
- Visiting a current project site or factory floor for informational purposes with no hands-on work
- Attending contract discussions
- Attending seminars
- Auditing company accounts
- Factory inspection
- Carrying out investment opportunity surveys
- Sport competitions
Per the BAL advisory: "E-visas are often subject to greater scrutiny at Malaysia’s entry ports, and because the business e-visa is a recent change, applicants are advised that the safest option is to apply for a consular visa if possible and apply for an e-visa only for urgent travel."
Interested employers and employees can apply for their e-visas online, by selecting “e-VISA” –not “e-NTRI,” which is just for tourists.