The 10 most stressful jobs for this year are in. And while some are to be expected, a few surprises have been thrown up.
CareerCast.com has just published its annual list of the 10 most stressful jobs and not surprisingly those in the armed forces and emergency services head the list for obvious reasons – considering they put their lives on the line in their jobs.
Military personnel (first), firefighters (second) and police officers (fourth) topped the list. Airline pilots came in third.
According to the site, while some jobs are physically dangerous, others are stressful due to other measures such as strict deadlines or being in the public eye, or having the lives of others in their hands.
Surprisingly, event co-ordinators came in fifth, with strict deadlines and dealing with large-scale organisations, cited as the main reasons.
News reporters came in sixth – with strict deadlines cited as the main reason (so please spare a thought for your intrepid Human Resources news providers).
Senior corporate and public relations executives also made the list with taxi drivers rounding it out in 10th place.
A total of 11 criteria were used to measure stress, including travel, physical demands, competition, working in the public eye and immediate risk of another’s life.
10. Taxi Driver Median Salary: $24,880* Potential causes of stress: Traffic, directions, vulnerability.
9. Senior Corporate Executive Median Salary: $183,270 Potential causes of stress: People management, high-stakes decision-making.
8. Public Relations Executive Median Salary: $111,280 Potential causes of stress: High public visibility, public speaking, management of bad publicity.
7. Broadcaster Median Salary: $40,910 Potential causes of stress: High public visibility/scrutiny, live television, public speaking.
6. Newspaper Reporter Median Salary: $39,370 Potential causes of stress: Strict deadlines.
5. Event Co-ordinator Median Salary: $48,290 Potential causes of stress: Strict deadlines, large-scale organisations.
4. Police Officer Median Salary: $62,960 Potential causes of stress: Life-threatening situations.
3. Airline Pilot Median Salary: $111,930 Potential causes of stress: People’s lives and safety in their hands.
2. Firefighter Median Salary: $49,080 Potential causes of stress: Life-threatening situations, people’s lives in their hands.
1. Enlisted Military Personnel Median Salary: $26,054 Potential causes of stress: Life-threatening situations, war zones, weapons management.
*All median salary data in US dollars via the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.