As lai see usually contains a certain amount of money, many people will rack their brains to gain/save money as much as possible.
A recent blog post on Heawork shared the office phenomenon during Chinese New Year.
- managers casually give out lai see from the company as if it was from himself/herself;
- young married colleagues ask single female managers for lai see;
- shameless colleagues ask for lai see again and again;
- unfamiliar colleagues come in flocks to ask for lai see;
- married colleagues pretend to be single to ask for lai see;
- married colleague take leave during Chinese New Year to avoid giving out lai see;
- givers limit the quantity of lai see to 10 notes per day on a first-come-first-served basis;
- colleagues who give out a single-note lai see with $10 are being talked about behind their back.
- only give a single $20 note to familiar colleagues from the same team;
- use beautifully designed red envelopes to divert attention;
- keep the remaining lai see and reuse them in the next year.
Follow us on Telegram and on Instagram @humanresourcesonline for all the latest HR and manpower news from around the region!