The National University of Singapore was crowned Asia's top university for the second consecutive year, according to QS Asia University Rankings 2020. Nanyang Technological University has climbed up to the 2nd place, replacing the University of Hong Kong – which slipped to the third place this year.
Based on global academic and employer opinion regarding university quality, 550 institutions from 18 locations were examined.
QS World University Rankings: Asia Top 10
National University of Singapore
Nanyang Technological University
University of Hong Kong
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
KAIST - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Here's a short analysis of universities by country/city:
- Singapore reaps the benefits of investment and internationalisation. While other tertiary institutions across the continent strive to emulate it, Singapore reigns supreme.
- Mainland China dominates the rankings for a number of universities, with 118 in total and four in the top 10: A remarkable progress. Until 2015, only one university from Mainland China featured among Asia's top 10.
- Hong Kong's top three universities drop one place each, while the next four rose and there is even a new entry. The performance of the SAR in the ranking has not (yet) been affected by the protracted civil unrest.
- Japan has endured another stagnant year. Although it has eight universities in the top 30 and 87 in total, the majority have dropped in the ranking. Relative regression in the research indicators, is largely responsible for this indifferent performance.
- South Korea, with 71 universities ranked, showed a persistent pattern of small falls, with Seoul National University dropping out of the top 10. However, there are still seven Korean universities in the top 100.
- Malaysia continued its noteworthy progress, excelling in reputational indicators, international research network criterion and internationalisation metrics. A total of 21 of its 29 ranked institutions rose.