HR Masterclass Series: High-level HR strategy training workshops
with topics ranging from Analytics, to HR Business Partnering, Coaching, Leadership, Agile Talent and more.
Review the 2020 masterclasses here »
Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower has just released its Manpower Statistics In Brief report, containing 2018 data on labour force, job vacancy, wages, redundancy, labour turnover, hours worked, labour relations, workplace safety and health, and training.
We have summed up the key statistics for your convenience below:
1. Singapore’s total workforce stands at approximately 3.7 million, of which locals comprise 62%. Overall, employment of local and foreign workforce has grown 1.2% and 1.3% respectively.
2. The majority is employed in services (74%), within which the top three employers are wholesale & retail trade (13.2%), transportation & storage (7%), and accommodation & food services (6.9%).
3. The median gross monthly income from work (including employer CPF contributions) of full-time (at least 35 hours per week) of employed residents was S$4,437, a real increase of 3.5% over five years.
4. Regarding labour force participation rate (LFPR) of residents, it stood at 67.7%, of which the majority participation (80.3%) came from those in the age range of 25-64 years.
5. A total of 10,730 employees were retrenched, inclusive of permanent and term contract staff, implying about 5.1 retrenched employees per 1,000 employees.
6. Employees worked an average of 44.8 paid hours per week, while the average overtime work per employee stood at 2.8 hours.
7. The training participation rate was 48%, i.e. the proportion of residents aged 15-64 who engaged in some form of job-related structured training or education activities over a 12-month period.
8. There are three employers’ trade unions in Singapore with a membership of 3,490, and 63 employees’ trade unions with a membership of 761,439.
9. Workplace injuries numbered 12,810, of which 41 were fatal. As such the accident frequency rate, .i.e. the number of workplace accidents per million man-hours worked, was 1.6.
10. Overall, Singapore’s total population stands at about 5.63mn (growth of about 0.5%), of which about 3.99mn are residents (growth of about 0.7%).
Photo / 123RF
"The Asia Recruitment Award is the oscars of the recruitment industry. A display of the best of the best!"
Start your entries preparation early.
Open to both in-house recruitment & talent acquisition teams and recruitment solution providers.