Learning & Development Asia 2024
Application guide on Mainland Travel Permits for non-Chinese Hong Kong and Macao citizens

Application guide on Mainland Travel Permits for non-Chinese Hong Kong and Macao citizens

Find out the processes, required documents, and all relevant information you should know before the application.

Non-Chinese permanent residents in Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR can now apply for travel permits to Mainland China for short-term purposes except for work, study or engaging in news coverage activities.

Valid for five years, the holder may travel to the Mainland multiple times for a maximum of 90 days with each stay.

Permit holders can go through e-channels after completing fingerprint collection procedures at ports. In addition, the holders are not required to fill in the Arrival Card when entering Mainland China with the Permit.

Before submitting your application, let’s find out here what you need to take note of.

What does the Permit look like?

It is an electronic card-type certificate (see the above lead image). The card has a nine-digit number, which is unique to each person and will remain unchanged for life.

The numbers beginning with HA are for non-Chinese Hong Kong permanent residents, while those beginning with MA are for non-Chinese Macao permanent residents.

  • Information on the front side: the holder’s photo, name, date of birth, gender, nationality, validity period, issuing authority, certificate number, and renewal times
  • Information on the back side: the Hong Kong or Macao permanent identity card number, Chinese name, and duration of stay

Where to apply?

To apply for the Permit for the first time, non-Chinese Hong Kong and Macao permanent residents shall submit their application in person to China Travel Service (Holdings) Hong Kong Limited, or China Travel Service (Macao) Ltd., authorised by the Exit-entry Administration of the People's Republic of China.

Permit holders may apply for renewal or replacement of the Permit if

  • the validity period of the Permit is less than six months;
  • the Permit has expired, damaged or lost;
  • the identity information of the holder is changed; or
  • the electronic chip is invalid

The holder may apply for renewal or replacement of the Permit through

  • China Travel Service (Holdings) Hong Kong Limited,
  • China Travel Service (Macao) Ltd., or
  • the exit-entry administration agencies of the public security department at or above the municipal level in mainland China.

How to apply?

Log in to the official website of China Travel Service Entry Permit Service Hong Kong Limited or China Travel Service (Macao) Limited. Select "Appointment Application" under the "Non-Chinese" menu to fill in the application form online and upload the applicant’s identity certificates for the preliminary review.

If the application is not approved, the applicant will receive an email notification specifying the additional documents or information required. The applicant should follow the instructions in the email and log in to the pre-application system to correct and supplement the necessary documents and information until the application is approved.

After receiving the approval email, log in to the "Application Confirmation" platform to schedule an appointment at the designated service centers for a specific day and time.

At the scheduled appointment time, applicants must bring all required original documents and materials to the scheduled application service center in person. Applicants under the age of 18 shall be accompanied by their guardians for application.

Upon arrival at the application service center, applicants must take a photo, obtain a qualified barcode receipt, print out your physical photo inside the center, then collect an application number at the inquiry counter.

Wait in the designated waiting area for your number to be called. When the number is called, proceed to the assigned counter to process the application. After that, complete the payment and receive the receipt.

What application materials are needed?

  1. Application Form for Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents (Non-Chinese Citizens) filled in completely and accurately, with the applicant’s recent photo pasted.
  2. A valid Hong Kong or Macao permanent resident identity card.
  3. A non-Chinese Hong Kong permanent resident under the age of 11 who has not obtained a Hong Kong identity card may provide a Notice of Application for Access to Information issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, which states that he/she is a Hong Kong permanent resident.
  4. An applicant under the age of 18 shall present the original identity certificates of his/her guardians, such as passports and proof of guardianship. (Valid legal birth certificates or guardianship documents, if the documents are not in Chinese or English, applicants should submit documents translated into Chinese or English).
  5. A valid ordinary passport (excluding certificates not recognised by the government of China), with a validity period of no less than six months.
  6. Nationality certificates issued within six months prior to the date of application, including the Notice of Application for Access to Information issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, or the Certificate of Personal Data issued by the Identification Services Bureau of the Macao S.A.R.
  7. The original Permit must be submitted when applying for a replacement or renewal.
  8. To apply for replacement due to loss or theft, the applicant shall sign a statement of loss.
  9. Copies of the materials should be submitted.
  10. Other necessary application materials.

How long does it take to apply for the Permit?

The period for acceptance, approval and issuance of the Permit is 20 working days.

How much does the Permit charge?

For a first-time application in Hong Kong or Macao SAR: HKD 260 or MOP 268.2

For a replacement or reissuance in mainland China: CNY 230

How to collect the Permit?

Applicants shall bring the receipt and Hong Kong or Macao Identity Card to the acceptance counter and collect the Permit in person on or after the scheduled date of collection as stated in the receipt.

For applicants under the age of 18, their legal guardians can collect the Permit on their behalf.

Applicants shall collect the Permit within 12 months from the scheduled date of collection. If they fail to collect it in time without justifiable reasons, they will be deemed to have voluntarily waived the collection, and the Permit will be canceled.

Image / China Travel Service Entry Permit Service Hong Kong Limited

Follow us on Telegram and on Instagram @humanresourcesonline for all the latest HR and manpower news from around the region!

Free newsletter

Get the daily lowdown on Asia's top Human Resources stories.

We break down the big and messy topics of the day so you're updated on the most important developments in Asia's Human Resources development – for free.

subscribe now open in new window