Here's a possible reason why the medicine and healthcare field is the most sought after sector among Millennials this year.
According to a list compiled by CareerCast, skilled healthcare professions are among the highest paying within the United States in 2015.
The list analysed annual median wages of 200 jobs from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and tracked the growth outlook of these jobs over a 10-year span from 2012 through 2022.
Coming in at top place as the highest paying occupation this year was surgeon, with an annual median wage of US$352,220 and a growth outlook of 18%.
This was followed by a psychiatrist, who was found to earn an annual median wage of $181,880 and a similar growth outlook of 18%.
Other medical careers that landed in the top 10 list were dentist, orthodontist and pharmacist.
ALSO READ: More young Singaporeans opting for healthcare rolesThe 10 best jobs for women in 2015
The report observed all occupations offer attractive salaries as they require very specialised knowledge.
"Employers seek the best of the best, and cultivating the skill set necessary to enter these careers takes considerable investment," the report stated.
"Wage stagnation has not been a problem for jobs in healthcare. One of the job market’s two steadiest industries of the past decade, along with information technology, healthcare has seen consistent growth in wages in recent years."
Corporate executives, petroleum engineers, data scientists and air traffic controller were the only careers outside of medicine to make the top 10 list.
Here are the 10 best paying jobs of 2015 (all salaries in USD):
1. SurgeonAnnual median wage: $352,220Growth outlook: 18%
2. PsychiatristAnnual median wage: $181,880Growth outlook: 18%
3. Physician (general practice)Annual median wage: $180,180Growth outlook: 18%
4. Corporate executive (senior level)Annual median wage: $173,320Growth outlook: 11%
5. DentistAnnual median wage: $146,340Growth outlook: 16%
6. Petroleum engineerAnnual median wage: $130,050Growth outlook: 26%
7. OrthodontistAnnual median wage: $129,110Growth outlook: 16%
8. Data scientistAnnual median wage: $124,150Growth outlook: 15%*
9. Air traffic controllerAnnual median wage: $122,340Growth outlook: 1%
10. PharmacistAnnual median wage: $120,950Growth outlook: 14%
Follow us on Telegram and on Instagram @humanresourcesonline for all the latest HR and manpower news from around the region!