Facebook Malaysia officially opened its new expanded office space in Kuala Lumpur yesterday (28 May).
Key features of this new space, designed by different employees, include: an artistic reception lobby; a micro kitchen; the ‘What’s on Your Mind Wall’ for people to express themselves and connect with loved ones; a workspace collage, and more.
Sharing one of the reasons behind this expansion, Nicole Tan, Country Director of Facebook Malaysia, said: “Malaysia is an important country to Facebook, contributing to our continued growth in Asia Pacific, where we see over 23 million Malaysians on our platform every month, connecting with family, friends, businesses, and communities.”
She added: “The country’s economy is in the midst of a societal and digital transformation, coupled with a tremendous push for industrial growth, technological innovation, and entrepreneurship. It is exciting to be a part of this, and we are investing in our partners, programs, opportunities and people that are helping us create a positive impact in their communities.”
Check out some photos below.
In particular, Facebook Malaysia has a long-term, strategic initiative named ‘Fast Forward Together’, which spearheads a three-pronged approach to the country’s digital transformation. Some of the initiatives are summarised below:
#1 Building digital skills to help Malaysian businesses grow locally and abroad
- In partnership with Matrade and AVANA, Facebook has helped empower more than 1,000 businesses across seven cities in Malaysia to equip them with the tools to export their products, arm them with digital online capabilities for growth beyond the Malaysian borders.
- The programme in ASEAN aims to continue engaging with another 1,000 businesses by end 2019, with DHL Express joining in the effort.
- Facebook’s Blueprint offers free education to help entrepreneurs and marketers master marketing across its apps and services.
- In Malaysia, 58% of its total course enrollments are taken by SMEs, with more than 51,000 people currently registered and learning with Blueprint. The company also educates marketers on building for mobile through various programs and events. To date, it has engaged more than 3,000 industry partners, advertising and media agencies and brand marketers.
#2 Driving efforts in safe, informed, inclusive and respectful social impact
- The Facebook Community Leadership Circle Program created to support the Facebook community leaders who foster and strengthen Facebook groups, to be launched in KL by end 2019.
- We Think Digital, which offers digital literacy resources designed to help people think critically and share thoughtfully online and will be launched in Malaysia in 2019.
- Why am I seeing This, launched two weeks ago, aiming to help people to better understand and more easily control what they see from friends, pages and groups in their news feed.
- The NUR Alert in finding missing kids with the help of the Facebook community; and a safety check function, to be activated during emergencies.
In line with these efforts, in his opening speech while officiating the event, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said: “The opening of Facebook Malaysia’s new expanded office in Malaysia reaffirms the nation’s commitment to ensure that our people are communicating and staying connected.
“We are committed to working with companies like Facebook to move forward our digital economy and help Malaysian businesses grow into global brands and to also continue to build a safe online environment for all people.”
Photos / Facebook Malaysia