The application period for the 2022 ESS will close at 11.59pm on 12 May 2022 (Thursday).
Those who have applied for Hong Kong's 2022 Employment Support Scheme (2022 ESS) may want to check on your mobile messages or email inbox.
The first batch of around 45,000 employers approved for wage subsidies has started to receive the government's notifications from 10 May 2022 (Tuesday) upon their successful applications for the 2022 ESS. A total of around HK$2.3bn worth of wage subsidies for May will be disbursed for successful applicants within one week after they have received the notifications.
Applicants can log in to the 2022 ESS website to check the amount of wage subsidy granted and the committed employee headcount during the subsidy period.
All employers in the first batch are those who had applied successfully for wage subsidies in the 2020 ESS and had chosen the 2020 ESS data in setting the subsidised quota cap for their current applications.
The 2022 ESS, which was open for application from 29 April, has so far received around 150,000 applications from employers with a total committed employee headcount of 1.2mn. About 100,000 applications from applicants comprising self-employed persons have also been received.
"About 98% of the first batch of employers receiving wage subsidies are micro- or small and medium-sized enterprises with less than 50 employees. The wage subsidies can help employers retain their current employees or even employ more staff when the business revives," said the government spokesman in the press release.
The spokesperson added that the remaining applications will be processed expeditiously so as to disburse subsidies to more applicants promptly.
Successful employers are reminded to make timely MPF contributions for employees each month to fulfil the committed headcount since their MPF records of the subsidy months will be used to determine whether they have complied with the undertakings. Otherwise, the relevant employers may be subject to a clawback of subsidy and penalty.
Employers also need to:
- (if applicable) open MPF employee accounts for new employee(s) in that month and make MPF contributions accordingly, and must not wait until the 60-day enrolment deadline to complete the account setup;
- (if applicable) open MPF employee accounts for employees aged 65 or above (if not yet opened) in that month and report the monthly wage; and
- (if applicable) make MPF contributions for casual employees (including those whose wages are paid on a daily basis) in the relevant month.
The application period for the 2022 ESS will close at 11.59pm on 12 May 2022 (Thursday). Eligible employers and self-employed persons who wish to apply for wage subsidies should submit applications through the 2022 ESS online website as soon as possible. For enquiries, please call the hotline at 183 6122 from 9am to 8pm on 10 to 11 May, and from 9am to midnight on 12 May.
For those who may need in-person assistance, they may make an appointment with one of the following five service centres by calling the hotline. The service centres will operate from 9am to 6pm in the remaining application period.
- Room 1501, AT Tower, 180 Electric Road, North Point
- Suite 1004, Kwun Tong View, 410 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong
- Suite 601-2, 9 Wing Hong Street, Cheung Sha Wan
- Suite 2310, Metropole Square, 2 On Yiu Street, Shek Mun, Shatin
- Units 3301-3303, 33/F The Octagon, 6 Sha Tsui Rd, Tsuen Wan
Image / 123RF