With proper planning, you can enjoy 10 long weekends next year without busting your leave bank.
Based on the 11 gazetted public holidays for 2014 released by the Ministry of Manpower, you can enjoy 10 long weekends by taking only six days of leave and two days off-in-lieu.
There will be three long weekends next year for Chinese New Year, Good Friday, Hari Raya Puasa and Hari Raya Haji, and because National Day falls on a Saturday next year, employees are entitled to claim a day off-in-lieu. Most employees should be able to claim and extra lieu day for Chinese New Year.
Mark the following dates in your 2014 calendar to make the most out of your vacation days:
- To kick-start the year with a long weekend, take leave on January 2 and 3 so you get January 1 to 5 off.
- Over the CNY period, claim January 30 as off-in-lieu, so you’re off until February 2.
- In April, Good Friday falls on April 18, so the long weekend will span from April 18-20.
- As Labour Day falls on a Thursday, take May 2 off so you’re off work from May 1-4.
- For two long weekends in a row, apply for leave on 12 May so you get May 10-13 off for Vesak Day.
- In July, you’ll have a long weekend from July 26-28 for Hari Raya Puasa.
- In August, because National Day fall on a Saturday, you can choose to claim an off-in-lieu on August 8 for a long weekend.
- October is another month with two long weekends; October 4-6 are public holidays for Hari Raya Haji, while you can take October 24 off for Deepavali and enjoy the long weekend from October 23-26.
- Take December 26 off to enjoy a long Christmas weekend from December 25-28.