Engie today announced its decision to relocate its Asia Pacific headquarters to Singapore from Bangkok, Thailand.
According to a media release, the new Asia Pacific headquarters and executive team will be located at Golden-Agri Plaza along Pasir Panjang road and is expected to be fully operational by middle of 2019.
Several of Engie’s business units, including Engie Services, Engie Factory, Engie Lab, and Engie Axima will also be located at the same place.
With its regional headquarters opening in Singapore, Engie will bring its values-focused culture to attract, train and develop talents to help drive energy innovation and excellence in the region, the global energy and services group said.
With over 4,000 employees based in the region contributing US$ 3 billion in revenue, the Asia Pacific market is of strategic importance to Engie’s business globally, it noted.
It added that this move accompanies its plan to more than double its workforce in Asia Pacific within the next 10 years, underpinned by the region’s economic growth and demands for clean and sustainable energy solutions.
Commenting on the decision to relocate, Paul Maguire, CEO of Engie Asia Pacific, said: “Singapore is a natural choice for us as we grow our footprint in this region. Many of our customers are based here with businesses across the region, our move will put us closer to them, giving them better access to Engie solutions and services that will support their growth in a sustainable manner.”
He added that the nation’s vision to be a Smart Nation and its leadership in innovation and sustainability provides Engie with an “ideal platform where we can build, test and scale our innovations, cementing our position as the leader in Asia Pacific’s energy transition.”
Supported by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), the new headquarters in Singapore will grow its localised highly-skilled workforce, further establishing the city state as the authority in clean energy management in the region.
Lee Eng Keat, executive director, commercial and professional services, EDB, said: “Singapore has been playing an active role in the transformation of the global energy sector. We are glad that Engie recognises Singapore’s leadership in energy, digital and finance, and is anchoring its Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. Engie’s latest investment will help catalyse the development of innovative solutions for the region’s growing demand for smart and sustainable energy.”
Since establishing its presence in Singapore two decades ago, key milestones for Engie in Singapore include:
- The establishment of Engie Lab to serve as a hub for energy innovation and technology in Southeast Asia (July 2016)
- Engie’s partnership with Sigfox and UnaBiz for Singapore’s first nationwide IoT network rollout (October 2016)
- Launching Southeast Asia’s largest multifluid renewable energy microgrid on Semakau Island (February 2017)
- The investment plan of S$80 million in centre of expertise to drive digital, energy efficiency and district cooling initiatives for the region (March 2018)
- Avril digital outcome-focused services was launched to help support Singapore’s growing data centre market, leveraging data-driven intelligence to help operators drive efficiency and adapt to business growth (June 2018)
Photo / 123RF
Human Resources magazine and the HR Bulletin daily email newsletter:
Asia's only regional HR print and digital media brand.
Register for your FREE subscription now »