SUBSCRIBE: Newsletter

Human Resources

Toggle

Article

Priya-April-2019-Job-automation-YouGov-123RF

33% of Singaporeans believe robots could replace them at work



Asia’s most renowned regional HR Excellence Awards is back in October in Singapore and Malaysia to sieve out HR’s finest gems. Are you a diamond in the rough? View the categories and find out more.

It is no doubt that technological disruptions and the introduction of robots have brought along fears of jobs being lost. People constantly worry their jobs may become redundant with the rise of automation.

In fact, in Singapore, a survey by YouGov Omnibus involving 1,083 Singaporeans revealed 33% believe robots could indeed replace them at work. The results were the same across ages and income groups.

Of the respondents, those working in accountancy, banking and finance are the most concerned about this, with 50% thinking it is possible.

On the contrary, just 13% of those working in business and consulting believe so. Overall, 69% think it will create job losses in the wider economy, while the remaining 31% think a wider adoption of technology will create more jobs instead.

SG-Robots

 

ALSO READ: Workplace automation in APAC to surge in the next 3 years

In addition to that, the following was also found:

Nearly half, or 49%, of Singaporeans believe robots will have some sort of effect on their jobs.

  • Of these, 7% see their role already being affected by robots, while 69% think it will happen in the next 10 years.
  • Lastly, 22% believe it will take 10 years or more.

Almost all of those surveyed (97%) currently use technology in their role in some way –  27% work in jobs that ‘very much’ involve technology, 50% ‘somewhat’ do, and 20% don’t use it ‘very much’ at work. A minority of 3% work in jobs with completely no technology involved.

Commenting on the perceptions towards technology, Jake Gammon, Head of Omnibus at YouGov APAC said: “As we ride the wave of automation, it’s interesting to see the wide gap between those who think it will lead to job losses overall and those who think their role could be taken by a machine.

“The question will be whether Singaporeans are able to adapt to upcoming changes in the workforce.”

ALSO READ: 

MOM responds to Parliamentary questions on job automation and more
How the impact of automation is being tackled in Singapore

Photo / 123RF



Gathering 50 top regional chief HR and senior business leaders at a three-day business retreat forum, the exclusive HR Innovation Leaders' Summit will happen from September 9-11. Get involved.

Read More News

Trending