US - An employee of restaurant chain Big Boy came close to poisoning customers when he added medication meant for baby pigs in the coffee.
Edwin Ledgard told the police he had a "delusion" that he should kill his customers, and added two vials of a drug used to treat anaemia in baby pigs into the coffee pot. He also added another vial to the salt shaker. It is not clear hold Ledgard got a hold of the medication.
Thankfully, a co-worker saw what Ledgard was doing and managed to stop the coffee and salt from being served to customers. The drug, also known as Iron-100, is given to suckling pigs to correct iron deficiency after birth. However, it is not known if Iron-100 is harmful when consumed by humans.
Ledgard has been charged with one count of contaminating a substance for human consumption, and has a history of violent behaviour. He was previously incarcerated twice for assault and stalking, and is currently in jail on a US$100,000 (S$130,504) bond.
To subscribe to Human Resources' monthly print magazines and daily online newsletters, please go to http://www.humanresourcesonline.net/subscribe/
To get the latest HR news to your desktop or mobile, follow Human Resources on Twitter and Facebook
To view exclusive HRTV videos and commentary on HR issues, visit The Office Snitch
More quality Lighthouse titles
Get your marketing department up to speed with Asia's most read marketing site
Want to get on the right side of the procurement department?
Direct them to Procurement Asia