Don’t miss Talent Management Asia, HR strategy conference – top HR management issues solved with cutting edge techniques from respected HR leaders. In Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Philippines and Singapore in March - Register Now
According to chief statistician Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Uzir Mahidin, the working population in the third quarter of 2017 saw an increase of 69,200 employed persons and a 4,600 increase in unemployed persons, from the previous quarter.
Other notable changes for the Q3 2017, compared to the second quarter, include:
- The labour force participation rate in the third quarter of this year was 67.8%
- Unemployment rate has remained unchanged at 3.4% for two consecutive quarters
- Females in the labour market increased by 37,900 persons to 5.76 million
- Female participation in the labour market was at 73.2% (aged 25-34), 67.5% (aged 35-44), and 57.1% (aged 45-54)
- Male participation in the labour market rose to 80.1%
- Male participation in the labour market for ages 55-64 years was at 67.2%
- One-third of employed persons were skilled workers within the occupation categories of managers, professionals, technicians and associate professionals.
The statistics also reported that 32.1% of the working age population were outside the labour force, and were comprised of housewives, students, retired, disabled persons and those not interested to work.
Lead Photo / Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Infographics / Department of Statistics, Malaysia